Sunday, March 30, 2008



DIED PRETTY - Stoneage Cinderella
This is the band live (well, miming) on French TV back in '86. I only heard this song for the first time, via this clip, when it aired on Rage back in '99. Blew me the fuck away. I taped it and played it repeatedly for weeks on end. Of course I'd heard a bunch of Died Pretty before - you couldn't grow up in Melbourne in the '80s listening to public radio and not hear 'em - though I paid little attention. They were OK, I thought, but they were Old People Music, and not really for me. By the year 1999 I considered myself old, or at least old enough to check them out, and so I bought their recently-released Best Of. Everything from 1984-'91 is white-hot. Not everything thereafter is. But "Stoneage Cinderella" remains their highpoint, a scorching combo of Highway 61 Revisited and Funhouse. Watch this clip and tell me this ain't the shit.

2 comments:

luKe said...

Dave,
You should really check out the band's first album FREE DIRT. It's one of my personal desert island albums. Mindblowingly good & very addictive!!
In the early 90's, I saw the band live in Brussels and they totally kicked ass!
Don't care that much about their later albums although some do have their moments...
Cheers,
Luke

Dave said...

Luke: I have heard Free Dirt in the intervening years, and it is indeed a great album. I only ever saw the band once, at their supposedly "last ever" show in late 2002, when I took along a Texan friend who was in town for the week and staying at our place (strangely enough, he was a Texan [and ex-Buttholes member!] who was totally obsessed w/ Australian music a la Scientists, Lime Spiders, Birthday Party, Beasts of Bourbon, etc., and Died Pretty were his absolute faves. A good week for him to be in town). Died Pretty were absolutely hot. Ron Peno now plays in a bluegrass-y duo w/ Kim Salmon called the Darling Downs. They're very fine, and Peno remains an excellent and highly eccentric front man.